Turn your backyard into a bird feeding sanctuary and discover tranquility in your backyard.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Winter's back in southern Alberta




Woke up this morning to snow! I don't think it froze over night but it is obviously cold enough at higher altitudes to have snow falling. Unfortunately this canceled our Town's parade that was supposed to be today.

On the upside though, this morning I spotted a beautiful yellow goldfinch in my yard. My finch feeder was wrecked in a wind storm a couple of weeks ago and I haven't replaced it yet. I have got to do that tomorrow. I guess the other feeders in the yard or other birds in the yard must have captured the goldfinch's interest. It was too quick for me to get a good picture of it but I do have a picture of another unusual visitor to my yard.

I think this is a cowbird. It was a bit of a process of elimination for me as I do not regularly get cowbirds in my yard. I used my ipod application Chirp Bird Songs USA ($2.99)to help me identify it's call. I'll do a separate article sometime on ipod apps for bird identification. My parents say they had a baltimore oriole at the farm this morning which I have never seen personally but looking at the Cornell website I guess that would still be within it's summer range. In any event, it seems that spring storms bring interesting birds to backyard feeders.

No comments:

Post a Comment